Resources for Kids & Caregivers
- Homework & Research Tools
- Home Learning Resources
- Storytimes and Programs
- Virtual Field Trips
- Get Active
Looking to enrich your home learning experience?
Explore these sites for fun and educational activities.
Reading & Learning
BookFlix – Watch and read along with video storybooks and nonfiction books for young readers. Includes streaming video, games, and resources for parents.
Notable Children’s Digital Media – This site from the American Library Association provides real-time, dynamic, and interactive media content for children 14 years of age and younger,
Reading Rockets – Collection of resources to keep kids learning at home while schools is closed.
Scholastic Learn at Home – A collection of free, daily projects and lessons to help kids reading, thinking, and growing. The site includes up to 20 days of instructions for students in grades PreK – 9+ organized by grade groups.
Start with a Book – Choose a topic to explore, find great books to read, then browse a curated selection of activities and educational apps to keep the learning going.
Math, Science & Nature
Bedtime Math – Fun math lessons, activities, and games for children of all ages.
CoolMath4kids – Math games for ages 3-12.
How Stuff Works – When your child wants to know why the sky is blue, how a tornado forms, or who invented the Chia Pet, head here.
National Wildlife Federation – Ranger Rick for Kids
Science Buddies – Find cool project ideas and plans, learn about science careers, ask an expert, and check out parents and/or teacher resources.
Science Museum Learn from Home – A community resource where science, equity, and education come together with opportunities for all ages.
Snake Discovery – Emily is one of our most popular visitors at the library! Check out all her critters on YouTube.
Washington County Parks Activities – Washington County Parks offers free materials that are available to download and print for your own use in our parks! Get outside for a scavenger hunt, create your own time capsule, learn about tracking animals, and more.
Play & Discovery
America’s Test Kitchen Kids – Free recipes, activities, and experiments for kids.
Lakeshore Learning – Free lessons, activities, worksheets, and craft ideas.
Mattel Playroom – Mattel Playroom is a resource for families to stay busy while home from school and work. The free platform offers play-from-home activities, games, content, and expert advice based on its well-known brands, including Barbie, Fisher-Price, Hot Wheels, American Girl, and Thomas & Friends.
Minnesota Children’s Museum – The Minnesota Children’s Museum Parent Resources page has fun activities and ideas to help you keep playing together at home.
TIME for Kids – News for children filtered by grade level
Wonderopolis – Every day at Wonderopolis a new “Wonder of the Day” question is posted. Each question is designed to get kids and families to read, think, talk, and find learning moments together in everyday life.
Cool Stuff for Kids
For Parents and Caregivers
Missing storytime at the library or at school?
Check-out these online storytime options or tune into virtual reading and learning offerings with authors and illustrators. Search the hashtag #kidlitquarantine to find more.
Stillwater Storytimes & Programs
- Stillwater Public Library Virtual Storytime – Tune in to our Facebook page as we take storytime online with Librarian Kim and beloved puppet, Baby Bear, on Wednesdays at 10:15 AM. There will be singing, talking, reading, writing and playing.
- Stillwater Public Library Virtual Programs – Check out our full calendar of upcoming programs for kids, teens and adults.
- Brightly Storytime – A video collection of full-length picture books read aloud.
- Storyline Online – Videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creative illustrations.
- Story Time From Space – Videos of astronauts read children’s books from the International Space Station!
- KidLit TV Read Out Loud – KitLitTV features a range of shows including storytimes, drawing lessons, interviews and more.
Authors, Illustrators and Celebrities
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems – Archived from 2020.
- Write. Right. Rite: Grab the Mic Series – National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature, Jason Reynolds, is launching a weekly videos series. The biweekly video series will inspire young people to tell their own stories.
- Making Space with Christian Robinson – This video series invites everyone to join in making something together. Creativity has the power to heal and everyone has a creative spark. These videos help you explore yours!
- Dav Pilkey at Home – Find fun and free activities from Dog Man author Dav Pilkey.
- Draw Every Day with JJK – Archived webcasts with author and illustrator Jarrett J. Krosoczka.
- Stimola Literary Studio – A collection of live stream events for kids, tweens, and teens by professional authors and illustrators.
- Todd Parr on YouTube – Listen to Todd Parr read “The Worry Book” and his other books on his youtube channel.
- Oliver Jeffers on Instagram – Archived readings of books.
- Mac Barnett on Instagram – Readings of picture books on Instagram.
- Kate Messner – Favorite authors and illustrators share resources for virtual reading and learning (Spring 2020).
Go on virtual tours of museums, historic sites, zoos and more!
Chesapeake Family – “Virtual Field Trips – Kids Can Explore the World from Home”
Harry Potter at Home – Stories, crafts, articles, quizzes, puzzles, and more from the world of Harry Potter.
Virtual reality field trips – This collection was created by a local teacher at O.H. Anderson Elementary School in Mahtomedi.
Is it time to get up and moving?
Try some of these fun exercises and activities to move your body!
Cosmic Kids – Yoga, mindfulness, and relaxation videos for kids of all ages.
GoNoodle – Videos to get kids up and moving to fun, engaging content and games.
Kidz Bop Dance Videos – Have a dance party with the Kidz Bop playlist!
Just Dance – Short dance videos to watch at home.
Pancake Manor – Music for Kids – Preschool and action songs to get kids up and dancing!
YMCA 360 – Free on demand videos demonstrating yoga, youth soccer, youth sports performance, and more.